General Information

Watershed Planning and Regulations Policy

Planning and Permits
The CVCA has in effect the Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulations (Ontario Regulation 159/06) made under the Conservation Authorities Act. This regulation prevents or restricts development and site alterations near water and wetlands to protect you and the public from flooding, erosion and other hazards.

The CVCA also provides planning and technical advice to assist the municipalities in our watershed in fulfilling their land use planning responsibilities associated with natural hazard management, natural heritage and water resources (as outlined in the Provincial Policy Statement).

Considering the natural environment is an important part of land use planning.  When staff review individual applications for development made under the Planning Act, we look to ensure that natural hazards, natural heritage features and water features will not be negatively affected by the proposed development. At the same time, we work to ensure that a completed development project will not itself be negatively impacted by natural hazards, including flooding.

Our staff provide written comments to municipalities on applications made under the Planning Act. These applications include:

  • official plans and zoning by-law amendments
  • plans of subdivision and condominium
  • site plan control applications
  • severances
  • minor variances

The CVCA requires a fee for this service in order to recover our costs. Be aware that a delay in paying this fee can delay finalizing your application.  The Fee Schedule for our Plan Review program can be found below.

Schedule A – Plan Review Fees

The purpose of the regulation is to protect public safety, property and the environment. This is accomplished by requiring approval through permits for work that could impact or be impacted by natural hazards.  Natural hazards are processes such as flooding and erosion that could be worsened if development (buildings and structures) and site alterations (i.e. filling, excavating and grading) are not conducted in a manner that accounts for potential impacts.  The CVCA’s review process under the regulation ensures that no negative impacts relate to natural hazards will result from work.

If your project is in or near the following areas you may need a Permit: 

  • In the channel of a watercourse, in a lake, pond or wetland
  • Within 15m of the floodplain associated with the following watercourses and waterbodies:  Beaver Creek, Belmont Lake, Cordova Lake, Crowe Lake, Crowe River, Kasshabog Lake, Limerick Lake , Paudash Lake, Round Lake, St. Ola Lake and Wollaston Lake
  • Within 30 m of the top of a bank of any watercourse or waterbody not listed above
  • Within 120 m of a Provincially Significant Wetland & all wetlands 2ha or greater
  • Within 30 m of all other wetlands less than 2 acre

Activities requiring approval within regulated areas include, but are not limited to:

  • Construction, reconstruction or placing a building or structure of any kind
  • Any change to a building or structure that changes its use, increases its size or increases the number of dwelling units
  • Grading of the site
  • Temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of material originating on site or elsewhere
  • Alteration to watercourses, bridges, culverts and other infrastructure; and channel and shoreline alterations
  • All works in the water, e.g. docks, boathouses, dredging, etc.

If you are near or in the areas listed above please contact our office so that we can perform a more detailed assessment of permit requirements.

The Permit Application can be found below:

Permit Application

Filling, construction or alteration of floodplains, wetlands, shorelines and waterbodies can result in increased upstream or downstream flooding, reduced water quality, destruction of fish and wildlife habitat or other environmental problems. When considering whether to grant a permit under these regulations, the CVCA considers not only the individual application, but also the long-term impacts within the watershed.

Schedule B – Permit Fees